College World Series tops ESPN.com searches in June
ESPN.com ranks the top searches for June 2009
Top Search of the Month: College World Series
Unlike the classic 2008 College World Series in which Fresno State truly lived up to its Cinderella moniker and won the tournament as an unseeded team, 2009's CWS featured a battle between two heavyweights. Texas and LSU entered the tournament seeded Nos. 1 and 3, respectively, and they pushed each other to a decisive third game in which the Bayou Bengals triumphed. However, the lack of a Cinderella did not deter user interest as the tournament received the lion's share of searches throughout the month of June.
- No. 5 Tennis: Just call June tennis' "Grand Slam month" as searches were predictably high, since the month featured both the French Open final and Wimbledon quarterfinals.
- No. 6 MLB draft: The hard-luck Nats claimed the grand prize of the pitcher-heavy '09 MLB draft when they took flamethrower/no-hitter specialist Stephen Strasburg.
- No. 9 Soccer: Could the U.S. finally be warming up to the world's most popular sport? If so, the U.S. soccer team's excellent play in the Confederations Cup sure played a major part.
- No. 15 Kobe Bryant: Users followed the superstar as he won his fourth NBA championship (this time, sans Shaq) and relieved his worried fans when he said he is committed to staying with the Lakers.
- No. 21 NBA draft: Frontcourt big men Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet headlined a guard-heavy draft that featured more than its fair share of surprise picks and trades.
Surprise Search of the Month: Bryce Harper
Even though he's still only 16 and won't be eligible for the MLB draft until 2010, Las Vegas High School catcher Bryce Harper has both MLB scouts and baseball fans salivating over his high batting average, cannon arm, surprising baserunning speed and prodigious power. Harper's performance at the 2009 International Power Showcase Home Run Derby at Tropicana Field, where he launched a record 502-foot homer, made the young man dubbed "The LeBron James of Baseball" quite popular on YouTube and in searches. After only 219 searches in May, Harper is the Surprise Search of the Month -- and even managed to crack the Top 25 -- after receiving more than 10,000 searches in June (more than a 4,500 percent increase).
The Complete Top 25
1. College World Series|
2. College baseball
6. MLB draft
7. Brett Favre
10. NBA trade machine
12. 2009 NBA mock draft
13. LeBron James
15. Kobe Bryant
17. College basketball
18. MLB All-Star voting|
19. College baseball scores
20. Mayne Street
21. NBA draft
23. Bryce Harper
25. Horse racing
Check out the ESPN Search Index for the latest buzz in search, including the top daily searches, surprises and movers.
Maalek Marshall is ESPN.com's search editor.
Note: The results listed are the summation of actual search results that were manually typed in by site users of ESPN.com in said month of 2009. All prelinked searches (including columnist archive links) were excluded from this summation.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Agent: Peppers joins Packers on 3-year deal
- Sources: Phil signs on as Knicks president
- Syracuse falls to NC State in ACC quarters
- Pats reach deal with suspended CB Browner