Cold moments: When weather and sports collide
AP Photo/Mike Kullen
3. "The Snowplow Game" -- Miami at New England
Date: Dec. 12, 1982
Weather: Heavy snow, 20 degrees, wind gusts up to 30 mph
What happened: The weather was so bad that notoriously hardy Pats fans stayed home in droves, helping to set an all-time regular-season Schaefer Stadium attendance low of 25,716. Mark Henderson, a convicted burglar operating a sideline snowplow while out on work release, earned absolution for his sins in the minds of New Englanders when he cleared a nice, dry spot in the deep snow for Pats kicker John Smith, who quickly banged home a 33-yarder against the wind with 4:45 remaining for the lone score in the game. How can anyone be sure the snowplow made the difference? Smith, who'd missed an 18-yarder earlier, said "The traction was despicable." Dolphins kicker Uwe von Schamann had also missed a 45-yard chance earlier in the game. Henderson's boffo quip when later asked about the propriety of plowing for the Pats: "What are they gonna do, throw me in jail?"
14. Bobby Riggs vs. Jack Kramer at Madison Square Garden in New York
Date: Dec. 26, 1947
Weather: Blizzard conditions; 25.8 inches of snow fell between 5:25 a.m. and 9:10 p.m. the day of the match.
What happened: Promoter Jack Harris called it "The biggest tennis match in history," as Kramer, who had won both Wimbledon and the U.S. Open earlier in the year, made his professional debut against pro champ Bobby Riggs. The weather-related miracle: 15,114 people jammed the Garden despite the fact that outside, snow fell at a record pace, bringing transportation to a halt. It set a record gate, wrote Daily News columnist Gene Ward, because "the intestinal fortitude of the customers out-glittered the actions of the athletes." Kramer lost to Riggs in four sets, and later said, referring to the crowd, "All I could think of was how did they get here?"
- Cold moments: '67 NFL Championship vs. '96 Yankees
- Cold moments: '79 Cotton Bowl vs. 1948 NFL Championship
- Cold moments: '50 OSU-Mich. vs. '93 AFC Championship
- Cold moments: '85 Iditarod vs. '07 Masters
- Cold moments: '01 AFC Divisional vs. '34 NFL Championship
- Cold moments: '81 AFC Championship vs. '97 World Series
- Cold moments: '53 Everest vs. '79 World Series
- Cold moments bracket index