Cold moments: When weather and sports collide
4. Ohio State vs. Michigan
Date: Nov. 25, 1950
Weather: A blizzard. Snow and 28 mph winds.
What happened: Oddsmakers favored the Buckeyes, but they didn't figure on unfavorable weather that would earn this game "The Snow Bowl" nickname. In one of the worst blizzards in Ohio history, Michigan blocked two kicks and won 9-3 to capture the Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl berth. Wolverines halfback Chuck Hortmann, who, like everyone else on the field, couldn't run or pass (0-for-9 in passing attempts), managed to punt his way to hero status. He punted 24 times, and 11 of those times pinned the Buckeyes inside their own 15 with caddy-corner kicks. Which is the only way to explain how a team could win without gaining a single first down (Ohio State managed three), and also without turning the ball over. Ohio State also tried to punt its way to victory, kicking the ball away 21 times. Didn't work. The teams combined for a grand total of 68 offensive yards. Must have been a thrill to watch, if you could manage to see through the driving snow.
AP Photo/Bill Sikes
13. AFC divisional playoff, Raiders vs. Bills
Date: Jan. 15, 1994
Weather: 0 degrees with a wind chill of minus 32
What happened: It's Buffalo in January -- you'd think this kind of weather would be normal, right? Wrong. It's the coldest game in Bills history, and Buffalo, trailing its fair-weathered opponents by 17-13 at the half and 23-22 after three quarters, scored the winning TD when Jim Kelly connected with Bill Brooks (for the second time) with 12:05 remaining for the winning score. The Bills' 29-23 win ultimately led up to what would be their record-setting fourth-consecutive Super Bowl loss.
- Cold moments: '67 NFL Championship vs. '96 Yankees
- Cold moments: '79 Cotton Bowl vs. 1948 NFL Championship
- Cold moments: '85 Iditarod vs. '07 Masters
- Cold moments: '82 Pats-Dolphins vs. '47 Riggs-Kramer
- Cold moments: '01 AFC Divisional vs. '34 NFL Championship
- Cold moments: '81 AFC Championship vs. '97 World Series
- Cold moments: '53 Everest vs. '79 World Series
- Cold moments bracket index