|ESPN.com: Page 2||[Print without images]|
Just for the hell of it, the six worst Celtics trades ever:
1. Three No. 1's for Bob McAdoo.
2. The Vin Baker trade, which was so unconscionable. I wrote an entire column about it right when it happened.
3. The LaFrentz/Walker trade, which killed them twice because it was terrible to begin with, then they had to sacrifice the No. 7 pick to dump LaFrentz.
4. Pitino's cap-crippling deals for Kenny Anderson and Vitaly Potapenko (tie).
5. Paul Westphal for Charlie Scott.
6. The Sebastian Telfair trade (and depending on how good Brandon Roy becomes, that might be shooting up the list soon).
There. I feel better. Actually, no I don't.
|What would you have done?|
|Now you can be the GM who has the guts to make a deal. See what deals you would have made in ESPN.com's Trade Machine.|
|Cutting the problem players is one way of ensuring a safe future.|
Check this baby out:
Clips get: Paul Pierce, Jason Kidd, Mikki Moore.
Celtics get: Corey Maggette, Shaun Livingston, Aaron Williams ($1.7m per, expires 2008), Scot Pollard and Eddie House (expiring), plus Minny's 2007 No. 1 (currently owned by the Clips) AND the Clippers' 2008 No. 1.
(Important note: The only way the Celts would ever part with Pierce is if someone overwhelmed them and overpaid for him. Well, that's overpaying for him. Also, you could easily replace the Celtics in this scenario with Seattle, Ray Allen and their expiring deals -- the important thing is that the Clips would end up with Pierce or Allen and finally have a crunch-time guy.)
Cavs get: Sam Cassell, Yaroslav Korolev (expiring) and two minimum-salary deals (Leon Powe and Allan Ray).
Nets get: Chris Kaman, Sebastian Telfair, three expiring deals (Rebraca, Pavlovic, Newble) and the Clips' No. 1 pick in 2007.
The 2007 Clippers after those two moves: Brand, Pierce, Kidd, Quinton Ross, Tim Thomas (starters), Cuttino Mobley, the wildly underrated Paul Davis, Mikki Moore, James Singleton, Daniel Ewing (bench). Could you go to war every night with Brand, Pierce, Kidd and good role players even though you're a little undersized? I say yes. At least they'd have a better chance than they do now.
|The Lakers should have used Kwame Brown as bait for somebody other than Jason Kidd.|
|The Rockets didn't make a deadline deal, but the Shane Battier last offseason still rings sweet.|