|ESPN.com: Page 2||[Print without images]|
Bill Simmons has worried about the NBA more than once over the past six years. Here were some of those columns:
• Time to fix the NBA playoffs (June 13, 2007)
• Common sense vs. the NBA rulebook (May 16, 2007)
• Solving NBA tanking (April 11, 2007)
• The No Balls Association (February 23, 2007)
• A crisis of officiating and style (June 20, 2006)
• The Nightmare Team (August 4, 2004)
• New School vs. Old School (February 25, 2003)
Follow-up note: A few hours after this column was posted on Sunday morning, an NBA fan posted "highlights" from Game 3 on YouTube that reveal Donaghy making a number of questionable calls during that Spurs-Suns game, including the three-seconds-too-late call on Ginobili that I mentioned in my column (and two months ago as well).
After the call is made, play-by-play announcer Mike Breen calls it a "late whistle" three different times, then a replay of the play shows that there was no contact, followed by Breen saying "doesn't look like there was much there" and partner Jon Barry adding, "I don't know what he saw!"
Collectively, it's a damning collection of anti-Phoenix calls, although not all of them were made by Donaghy. Expect the highlights of this game to eventually become the Zapruder Film of the Donaghy Scandal. Sorry, Phoenix fans.