Monday, September 3, 2007
The 25 reasons tennis is better than college football
By Scoop Jackson
It was a wild weekend from the courts of the U.S. Open to the fields of college football -- but when the dust settled, advantage: tennis.
Despite what everyone else may tell you, here are 25 reasons why tennis is better than college football:
1. Because even though she lost this weekend, Maria Sharapova didn't go out like Notre Dame.
2. Because, right now, Ohio State versus Michigan cannot come close to Federer versus Nadal.
3. The John McEnroe American Express commercials.
4. Ana Ivanovic.
5. No player in college football has fathers like Venus and Serena Williams or Marion Bartoli.
6. Because no coach is bigger than the player or the program.
7. Because as cute as Ian Johnson and Chrissy Popadics' story is, they'll never match Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf's.
8. Because they don't name college football stadiums after jazz icons (Louis Armstrong), AIDS and human rights activists (Arthur Ashe) or world-class, world-changing feminists (Billie Jean King).
9. Because the NCAA would never invite eight "wild card" teams to play in their "tournament" the way the USTA did with players like John Isner and Donald Young at the Open.
10. Because even though more people will watch Virginia Tech at LSU on Saturday, nothing in that game will match what will happen in the three matches on Super Saturday.
11. Serena in black.
12. Roger Federer plays tennis and no one in college football is close to being that good.
13. The on-the-court postmatch interview between Andy Roddick and Justin Gimelstob.
14. No tennis player is as overrated than the Big 10 Conference.
15. Because Dick Enberg, John McEnroe and Mary Carillo are better than anyone except the GameDay crew.
16. Because Janet Jackson wouldn't show up at a USC game the way she did at opening day of the U.S. Open.
17. Because "you're not evil" has not caught on at tailgate parties yet.
18. Of the next superstars in both sports (Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina and Brian Brohm of Louisville), even if or when Brohm gets picked No. 1 in the 2008 NFL draft, del Potro will have a better career.
19. Because the players don't autograph footballs after wins and toss them into the crowd.
20. Because no one has Drew Rosenhaus' phone number.
21. No boosters.
22. Because you won't get four football games this season as drama-filled and intense as Ferrer/Nalbandian, Peer/Vaidisova, Santoro/Blake or Wawrinka/Korolev have already played in the first week of this year's Open.
23. Because women receive equal pay. (Oops, there are no women in college football.)
24. Because challenging calls and instant replay is less corrupt. (I mean, it's more accurate, more cost-efficient, requires fewer cameras, is less time-consuming and leaves less room for human, alum, corporate, Vegas, referee error.)
25. There may be B.S. in tennis, but not BCS.
Scoop Jackson is a columnist for Page 2 and a contributor to ESPN The Magazine. Sound off to Scoop here.