Thursday, January 31, 2008
All the Super Bowl news you can't live without
If you're tired of the position-by-position breakdown of the Patriots and Giants, you've come to the right place.
We have all the Super Bowl information you know you need.
• Super Bowl News: MONDAY | TUESDAY | WEDNESDAY
Tonight's Super Bowl party slate:
Thursday really kicks off the Super Bowl party scene. Here is everything that's on tap for tonight:
• Dan Majerle's Downtown End Zone Block Party: 4 p.m., downtown Phoenix. While most parties this week cost a small fortune to get into, this one only costs $10-$20. Why the low price? No permit from the city. Here come the cops! Run! Run! Run!
• NFL Pepsi Smash Super Bowl Concert Series: 7:30 p.m., Jobing.com Arena. Mary J. Blige will perform. And it's not at all surprising that she's involved with the NFL.
• 944 Magazine Six-Year Anniversary Party, hosted by Paris Hilton: 8 p.m., Scottsdale waterfront. Hey, just because Paris Hilton can't read doesn't mean she isn't allowed to host a party for a magazine.
• Super Thursday Block Party and Super Skins Celebrity Golf Classic Bash: 8 p.m., Indian Plaza. P. Diddy and Nick Lachey will be in attendance. Talent will not.
• Best Damn Super Bowl Party Period: 8 p.m., Rockridge Estate. Hosted by Jenny McCarthy, this is the party you would have wanted to go to the last time Arizona hosted a Super Bowl, in 1996.
• Martini Ranch Stetson Block Party: 8 p.m., Martini Ranch. Another block party? Bo-ring. Wait ... what's this about Stetson? Ohmigod, ohmigod, ohmigod ... does that mean that Tom Brady might be there?! I'm going to pass out.
• Super 81 Lounge: 8 p.m., e4. Terrell Owens hosts this party, which has an entry fee of $550-$850. But a portion of the proceeds will go to the Terrell Owens Foundation, which supports children born with an out-of-control ego.
• NFL Players Association Party: 11 p.m., Barcelona. You haven't partied until you've partied with Gene Upshaw.
-- DJ Gallo
Super Bowl celebrity sightings
"Oh, the bandages? I decided to get some plastic surgery on my knuckles."
melons. I mean, your drink. Your drink smells like melons."
"Oh, Troy Polamalu
"Wait, you're say that you are in the NFL? And that there is a team here in Phoenix?"
"Who is the designer? Wal-Mart."
God! We love you Phillippi Sparks' daughter!"
"Well, I tried to bust a move one day and I threw out my back. One thing led to another, and then I woke up one morning and I looked like this."
"No. The name is Welker. Wes Welker."
-- DJ Gallo
This day in Super Bowl history ...
January 31, 1999
Super Bowl XXXIII: Denver 34, Atlanta 19
The Broncos ran out to a 17-3 lead in the second quarter and coasted to an easy victory over a Falcons teams that came out of the locker room looking tight. Almost like some of them were, perhaps, sexually frustrated.
January 31, 1993
Super Bowl XXVII: Dallas 52, Buffalo 17
The Cowboys crushed the Bills, handing them their third consecutive Super Bowl loss. But Don Beebe's strip of Leon Lett late in the game clinched his spot in the first induction class of the Scrappy Hall of Fame.
January 30, 1988
Super Bowl XXII: Washington 42, Denver 10
Washington's Doug Williams filled in for an injured Jay Schroeder at quarterback and led the Redskins to a blowout victory. In doing so, Williams became the first black quarterback to win a Super Bowl, and prevented John Elway from becoming just the 14th white quarterback to win a Super Bowl.
-- DJ Gallo
Get to know ... the New England Patriots
FACT: Jabar Gaffney's favorite movie is "Troy."
(possible) FACT: Jabar Gaffney has only seen one movie in his entire life.
FACT: Stephen Neal wrestled Ricky Williams in high school.
(possible) FACT: Despite numerous trips through the laundry, Stephen Neal's wrestling singlet still reeks of patchouli.
FACT: Richard Seymour wears Size 17 shoes and plays the trombone.
(possible) FACT: Richard Seymour's post-NFL career options are essentially limited to this.
FACT: Bam Childress majored in Family Resource Management at Ohio State.
(possible) FACT: Tom Brady wishes he majored in Family Resource Management at Michigan.
-- DJ Gallo