|ESPN.com: Page 2||[Print without images]|
|On June 4, 1974, the Rangers thought it necessary to brandish bats in defense of Jeff Burroughs.|
|Umpire Joe Brinkman restrains an injured fan on 10-Cent Beer Night.|
The last 10 major league forfeits:
• Aug. 10, 1995: Dodgers fans littered the field with giveaway souvenir baseballs in the ninth inning, and Los Angeles forfeited to the Cardinals.
• July 12, 1979: Thousands of fans overran the field at Comiskey Park during the "Disco Demolition Night" promotion between games of a doubleheader. The White Sox forfeited the nightcap to Detroit.
• Sept. 15, 1977: The Orioles forfeited to the Blue Jays when Baltimore manager Earl Weaver pulled his team off the field in Toronto after umpire Marty Springstead refused to have a bullpen tarpaulin removed that Weaver claimed was a hazard.
• June 4, 1974: Cleveland forfeits to Texas when a riot breaks out at 10-Cent Beer Night.
• Sept. 30, 1971: Souvenir hunters overrun R.F.K. Stadium and the Senators, despite leading 7-5 with two outs in the ninth, forfeit their last game in Washington to the Yankees.
• July 18, 1954: With darkness approaching, the Phillies are charged with using delaying tactics after a brawl and forfeit to the host Cardinals.
• Aug. 21, 1949: Philadelphia fans littered the field with bottles in the ninth inning, and the Phillies forfeited to the visiting New York Giants.
• Sept. 26, 1942: Hundreds of children, guests of the Giants in a promotion to bring scrap metal for the war effort, swarmed the field after the eighth inning, and New York forfeited to the visiting Boston Braves.
• Aug. 15, 1941: Twelve days after Washington beat Boston 6-3 in a rain-shortened game, AL president Will Harridge awarded the visiting Red Sox the victory, saying that the Senators violated rules by not covering the field.
• June 6, 1937: During the nightcap of a doubleheader already delayed by rain, the host Phillies used stalling tactics as the 7 p.m. Philadelphia city curfew for completing the game approached. The Cardinals were awarded the victory by forfeit.Source: retrosheet.org.
|Injured umpire Nestor Chylak leads his battered crew off the field after calling the game in the ninth.|
|Indians reliever Tom Hilgendorf is helped from the field after being hit with a chair by an unruly fan.|