Suggested music for MLB players
Music has always had a connection to baseball, from traditional organ music at the ballpark to John Fogerty's "Centerfield" and Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days." (We're still trying to figure out Prince's baseball reference in "U Got the Look" -- "Boy versus girl in the World Series of love.")
Players pick out songs for their at-bats or trips to the mound, but we thought we'd pass along some suggestions of our own.
C.J. Wilson, Angels
"Stayin' Alive" by The Bee Gees: The pitcher is nothing if not confident. Picture him strutting out to the mound, hair blowing in the Anaheim breeze, while this 1977 classic blares.
Brian Wilson, Giants
Jamie Moyer, Rockies
Adrian Beltre, Rangers
"Don't Touch Me" by The Cartoon Planet Band: The slugger has an odd phobia of people touching his head. That calls for a thoughtful ditty from Cartoon Network character Brak, with beatboxing help from Space Ghost.
Alex Rodriguez, Yankees
"Physical" by Olivia Newton-John: No reason, other than it would be hilarious.
Albert Pujols, Angels
"Fat Albert" theme song: The only fat thing about Albert is his wallet. But how great would this be? That classic, instantly recognizable bass line would light up any ballpark.
Carlos Santana, Indians
"Santana Shreds." It's too obvious for Santana to use a song by guitar hero Carlos Santana. So this nod to the YouTube "shredding" spoofs would give a giggle to those in the know.
Yu Darvish, Rangers
The media has already exhausted name-based puns for the Japanese pitching phenom, and there are thousands of options for songs. A few:
• "Lovin' You" by Minnie Riperton: Just to see everyone in the stands cock their heads, schnauzer-style, when she hits the high note.
• "Fix You" by Coldplay: Whenever pitching coach Mike Maddux trots out to the mound if Yu is struggling.
• "U Got the Look" by Prince: Yes, the "World Series of love." It all makes sense now.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Accuser lawyer blasts Winston investigation
- Fight leads to stabbings after Broncos game
- Packers' Rodgers won't play vs. Cowboys
- Yanks not angry at Cano, 'feel bad for him'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Los Angeles Angels Albert Pujols Keychain