Report: Ex-NBA coach says coaching ``not an option''

Updated: August 14, 2003, 8:38 AM ET

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Former Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Lucas has told a newspaper that he is not considering taking the Baylor men's basketball coach's job.

That was after Lucas' son, Baylor starting point guard John Lucas III, said Wednesday that he had received his release to talk to other schools about transferring.

"My only concern at this time is my son," the elder Lucas told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for a story in Thursday's editions. "Coaching isn't an option for me at this time."

The Star-Telegram quoted unidentified sources as saying Baylor officials had preliminary talks with Lucas about succeeding Dave Bliss. Bliss resigned as head coach last week in the wake of reported NCAA violations that emerged in the investigation of Baylor player Patrick Dennehy's slaying.

The elder Lucas is a former San Antonio Spurs head coach and one-time Houston Rockets and Spurs player. An unidentified source tells the Houston Chronicle for a story in its online edition that Lucas might have taken the Baylor job if he had been asked early on. But if John III finds a place he would rather be than Baylor, his father would not be interested in coming to Waco, the source told the Chronicle.

Lucas, who is spending the summer in Houston, had told Houston television station KRIV Wednesday that more than a half dozen schools, including Georgetown and Arkansas, have already contacted him about transferring.

John Lucas III said Wednesday that he has not decided on his future yet, but said he plans to decide with his father if he will remain at Baylor or finish his basketball career elsewhere.

"Right now, it's still more like a shock to everybody," Lucas told the Dallas Morning News in a story in Wednesday's online edition. "The whole thing, it's like, it can't be happening. It's like it's a movie. It's all crazy. But I know I'll have to figure things out sometime soon, because school starts in a couple of weeks."

Baylor president Robert Sloan said Monday that any player who requests a release will be granted one. He also said the school would support a petition to the NCAA to waive the requirement that players sit out a year when transferring to another NCAA Division I school.

Sloan said last week he was putting the program on probation at least two years because of major infractions, saying it will not participate in any postseason tournaments next season, including the Big 12 tournament.

John Lucas III joins other Baylor standouts Lawrence Roberts, the Bears' leading scorer last season, and Kenny Taylor, the third-leading scorer, who requested and received releases from Baylor on Tuesday. On Sunday, one of Baylor's top recruits, Hempstead 6-foot-9 center Tyrone Nelson said he would ask for a release from his national letter of intent.

Baylor organized a six-member search committee Tuesday to find a new men's basketball coach and athletic director.

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index