Bliss met with player the morning after scheme revealed

Updated: August 18, 2003, 10:25 PM ET

WACO, Texas -- Baylor is committed to remaining in the Big 12 Conference and putting a complete team on the court for the 2003-04 season despite the scandal of a murdered player and coach Dave Bliss' attempted coverup of NCAA violations, university president Robert Sloan said Monday.

"I fully intend to compete," Sloan said.

Baylor's star junior forward, Lawrence Roberts, said he will transfer to Mississippi State and his decision could trigger a large-scale defection from the team.

Baylor officials have granted several players their release to allow them to look at other schools.

Sloan did not say where the team, which still doesn't have a head coach since Bliss resigned Aug. 8, will get new players if most of the current roster leaves. He also gave no timeline for how quickly Baylor will hire a new head coach.

A Baylor investigative committee, meanwhile, heard an additional audiotape related to Bliss' attempt to portray slain player Patrick Dennehy as a drug dealer. The coach's plan was to divert investigators from looking into whether he improperly paid tuition for two players.

The scheme was exposed by secretly-recorded audiotapes given to investigators by assistant coach Abar Rouse.

The latest tape comes from Richard Guinn, the father of Baylor senior center R.T. Guinn, one of the players Bliss attempted to recruit for the coverup.

Richard Guinn recorded a conversation Bliss had with the player the morning after the plot was exposed. He turned the tape over to Baylor investigators.

Guinn again on Monday refused to divulge details of the conversation. He has said Bliss at one point apologized to his son about "the things that happened." He also said Bliss knew he was being taped.

Kirk Watson, legal counsel for the committee, said the tape, like the others, would be available for local prosecutors to listen to as well to determine if any laws were broken. He would not say what the committee heard on the Guinn tape.

Sloan participated Monday in an online discussion with Baylor fans on the school Web site.

He answered about 15 of the about 500 questions that came in, including about Bliss, the future of the Baylor program and why Sloan himself hasn't resigned.

About Bliss, Sloan said he was "shocked and disappointed," by the coverup plot. "On the other hand, all of us need to remember that Dave Bliss and his entire family are in need of our prayers."

Sloan said he believed Baylor had support throughout the university and the Big 12 for staying in the league.

"The answer is not to run away from the problems," Sloan said. "I can tell you that our Big 12 colleagues have been very supportive."

He said the university granted current players their release because that's what he would have wanted if he was a player's father.

"There is no question that we might well lose players," he said.

"I asked myself what I would want for my son, if my son had innocently been involved in such tragic circumstances. So, applying the Golden Rule, we offered releases."

Asked why he hadn't resigned like Baylor athletic director Tom Stanton, Sloan said, "I serve at the will of our board. I am totally committed to this university."

Stanton resigned on Aug. 8, the same day as Bliss, although Sloan said there is no evidence Stanton participated in any of the alleged NCAA violations or the coverup.

Dennehy's body was found July 25 in a field about five miles from the Waco college campus. Former teammate and roommate Carlton Dotson is in a Maryland jail on a Texas murder warrant.

In Chestertown, Md., jailers have stepped up their observation of Dotson after he began throwing clothing and other belongings out of his cell on Saturday.

Ronald Howell, warden of the Kent County Detention Center, said reports that Dotson was placed on a suicide watch were incorrect but jailers did keep a closer eye on him.

"It's more intensive than what he was on," Howell said, adding that Dotson did not try to hurt himself and apparently calmed down later the same day.

Late last month, Dotson was put under a suicide watch for about 22 hours as a precautionary measure.

Meanwhile, Rice coach Willis Wilson said Monday that he had been contacted by a search firm helping Baylor look for a new coach but isn't interested in leaving Rice.

"My commitment is here," Wilson told Houston television station KRIV.

"Obviously it's flattering just from a coaching standpoint that any university might be intersted in you," he said. "Looking into their situation in terms of the issues and problems that are going on in that program, it certainly would be a challenge."

This story is from's automated news wire. Wire index