Illinois wide receiver out for season
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Illinois receiver Lonnie Hurst will miss the rest of the season with a broken right leg, adding another blow to a battered Illini team that has lost seven games in a row.
Hurst injured himself in Saturday's 36-10 loss to Minnesota after catching three passes for 35 yards. He has 27 catches for 315 yards this season.
The Illini (1-8, 0-5 Big Ten) lost quarterback Jon Beutjer for the season earlier this month with a back injury. Also, running back E. B. Halsey was hurt two weeks ago against Michigan and will miss a second straight game this week.
Turner said his pick to start at quarterback against the Hawkeyes is senior Dustin Ward, who played most of the Minnesota game and completed 17 of 32 passes for 221 yards.
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stoops bashes Saban's 'consolation' remark
- Ducks decided favorites in Pac-12 media poll
- Source: Indiana, Cincy set '21, '22 meetings
- Source: NC State-WVU series set for 2018-19
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Schutt Illinois Fighting Illini Authentic Mini Football Helmet