Mosley camp says fight with Mundine is off
SYDNEY -- Backers for Shane Mosley say the American boxer has withdrawn from his scheduled bout with Anthony Mundine in Sydney on Wednesday due to a contract dispute.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer issued a statement from Los Angeles saying "we have no choice but to protect our fighter" because terms of the contract had not been met.
The official weigh-in was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon in Sydney, but local media reported Mosley had already been spotted at the airport and Golden Boy Promotions says "boxing superstar Sugar Shane Mosley will instead be going home."
In a statement, Mosley said: "I'm very disappointed with this turn of events because I was planning on making a big statement by beating Mundine, but I was left with no choice but to withdraw."
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index