Cubs, RHP Michael Wuertz avoid arbitration by agreeing to $860,000, 1-year deal
Wuertz stranded 33 of 38 inherited runners (86.8 percent), second in the NL behind teammate Carlos Marmol (87.8 percent), while going 2-3 with a 3.48 ERA in 73 relief appearances. Wuertz is 12-6 with one save and a 3.56 ERA in 220 relief appearances since making his major league debut in 2004.
He had asked for a raise from $415,000 to $975,000 in arbitration and had been offered $750,000. Wuertz was the last Cubs' player eligible for arbitration.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Chicago Cubs Royal/White Track Jacket