Reds sign C Cota to minor league deal
Ryan Jorgensen announced his retirement after getting only 20 at-bats in the majors during his career with Florida, Cincinnati and Minnesota.
The 29-year-old Jorgensen returned last season after serving a 50-game suspension for violating baseball's drug policy. He signed a minor league deal with the Reds on Nov. 19.
The 29-year-old Cota batted .233 with 12 homers and 61 RBIs in seven seasons with Pittsburgh. He was invited to spring training.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Indians recall Salazar to start against Twins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis Cincinnati Reds 16 oz Wrap Tumbler