German agrees to 1-year contract with Rangers
German will make $600,000 in the major leagues and $200,000 in minors under Saturday's deal. After spending most of the season at Triple-A Oklahoma City, where he hit .319 with four homers and 59 RBIs in 105 games, German batted .304 (14 for 46) with four doubles and four RBIs in 19 games for Texas. He had a career-high five hits on Sept. 9 at Cleveland, just the 10th time since 1954 a No. 9 batter had five hits, according to the Rangers.
Texas offered contracts Saturday to its seven other players eligible for arbitration: outfielder Josh Hamilton, left-hander C.J. Wilson, and right-handers Scott Feldman, Frank Francisco, Brandon McCarthy, Dustin Nippert and Chris Ray.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Texas Rangers Carbon Wordmark Red T-Shirt