Yanks C Martin says he had unusual run-in with ump
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Yankees catcher Russell Martin says home plate umpire Laz Diaz decided on an unusual way to punish him for arguing balls and strikes.
Martin says Diaz wouldn't allow him to throw new baseballs back to his pitchers after fouls during New York's 6-5 win over the Los Angeles Angels on Wednesday night.
Martin and Diaz got into it early in the game, and Martin says Diaz "was punishing me" by making all of the throws himself. Martin prefers to make the throws to keep his arm loose for base-stealers.
Martin says Diaz told him that throwing the balls was "a privilege I had to earn."
Martin was mystified by Diaz's treatment. He is a three-time All-Star selection and a Gold Glove winner with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2007.
Diaz was unavailable for comment because Martin spoke nearly an hour after the game.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Catfish Hunter #29 White Cooperstown Jersey