Teixeira expected to rejoin Yankees on Monday
Teixeira injured his left calf Aug. 27. He returned Sept. 8 at Baltimore but aggravated the injury diving into first base on a game-ending groundout and has not played since.
Teixeira played in an instructional league game in Florida on Saturday. He was due to work out Sunday before traveling to New York. He'll be checked by a doctor Monday and, if there are no problems, will be cleared to play.
Manager Joe Girardi said Sunday that he'd consult with Teixeira about whether to start him at first base or designated hitter.
Infielder Jayson Nix, meanwhile, is expected to miss 10 to 14 days with a strained left hip.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's New York Yankees Mark Teixeira #25 Home White Replica Jersey