Pedroia to play against Yankees with broken finger
NEW YORK -- Second baseman Dustin Pedroia is in the Boston Red Sox's starting lineup for their game against the New York Yankees despite sitting out a night earlier because of a broken left ring finger.
Manager Bobby Valentine said Tuesday that Pedroia was initially in the lineup Monday night, but had trouble swinging the bat during warmups.
Pedroia was given the OK to play in the second matchup of the season-ending three-game series, and he says he wants to set an example for his younger teammates.
The Red Sox were criticized for playing a lineup with only two regular position players Monday, but Valentine and Pedroia dismissed the idea last-place Boston was not giving its all.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- Orioles' Machado disappointed by new deal
- Cahill jams knee; Arroyo might be delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Jacoby Ellsbury #22 Road Grey Jersey