Longoria hits 3 homers
Longoria hit three home runs for the Rays in Wednesday night's game against the playoff-bound Baltimore Orioles. He hit solo shots off Chris Tillman in the first and fourth innings, and added another bases-empty drive during the sixth against Jake Arrieta.
Facing Pedro Strop with two outs and a runner on first in the eighth, Longoria hit a first-pitch grounder to third.
Longoria had two homers in Game 162 last season, including an extra-inning walk-off drive that propelled the Rays to the AL wild card.
It was Longoria's second career three-homer game. The other came on Sept. 18, 2008, against Minnesota.
Longoria received a standing ovation after his third homer, and waved to the crowd during a curtain call in front of the Tampa Bay dugout.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester scratched from start but no trade yet
- Machado homer puts O's past Angels in 12
- Yankees top Rangers & Arencibia's 7 RBIs
- Cain to meet with Dr. Andrews about elbow
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Tampa Bay Rays Evan Longoria #3 Cool Base Home White On-Field Jersey