Dodgers' Kemp to have left shoulder surgery
He made the announcement Wednesday after the Dodgers ended the season with a 5-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants.
Kemp has a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He could have his shoulder cleaned up in a minor procedure or he could have the labrum repaired, which would sideline him four months.
"It depends on what they got to go in there and do," the right-handed hitter said. "It's just something that needs to be done."
Kemp hit .303, with 23 home runs and 69 RBIs a year after being runner-up to Milwaukee's Ryan Braun for the NL MVP award.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Brooklyn Dodgers Jackie Robinson Light Blue V-Neck T-Shirt