Neshek joins A's after newborn son's death
Neshek's son Gehrig John Neshek died 23 hours after his birth -- the right-hander posted the tragic news on Twitter late Wednesday night. Neshek was with the A's on Friday, when the team worked out at Comerica Park a day before the start of the AL division series against Detroit.
Neshek told reporters being at the ballpark and playing catch helped with the healing process.
Manager Bob Melvin says what Neshek is going through is obviously devastating, and the team is there to support him.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yanks' Teixeira tests leg, 'couldn't be happier'
- Sizemore's scoop caps Yankees' triple play
- Mattingly voices worry over threats to Puig
- Dodgers' Ramirez hit on hand, misses game
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Photo File Oakland Coliseum Framed Photo