Orioles obtain infielder Valencia from Red Sox
The 28-year-old Valencia played in 44 games with Minnesota and Boston last season. He hit a combined .188 with three homers and 21 RBIs.
Valencia broke into the majors in 2010 with the Twins and had his best season in 2011, batting .246 with 15 homers and 72 RBIs in 154 games.
To make room on the 40-man roster, the Orioles designated infielder Joe Mahoney for assignment. Mahoney made his major league debut with Baltimore in 2012, going 0 for 4 in two games.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ortiz, Red Sox discuss one-year extension
- Sources: Loney agrees to deal with Rays
- Yanks not angry at Cano, 'feel bad for him'
- Ellsbury goes from 'thorn' to Yanks' 'flower'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Baltimore Orioles Heathered Orange Speedwick Performance T-Shirt