Geovany Soto, Rangers agree to $2.75M
Soto's agreement allows him to earn an additional $250,000 in performance bonuses. The deal was announced on the first day of baseball's winter meetings.
Soto, who turns 30 next month, hit .196 with five homers and 25 RBIs in 47 games last season as the backup for Mike Napoli, who agreed to a $39 million, three-year deal with Boston.
Texas allowed Soto to become a free agent when it failed to offer a contract by Friday's deadline. The move allowed the team to cut his salary, which was $4.3 million this year, by more than 20 percent.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- Orioles' Machado disappointed by new deal
- Cahill jams knee; Arroyo might be delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Texas Rangers Yu Darvish #11 Red T-Shirt