Tigers agree to deal with C Pena to back up Avila
Pena had a .236 batting average with two homers and 25 RBIs in 68 games last season for the Kansas City Royals. He hit .320 in 50 at-bats with runners in scoring position last season. He has hit .248 with 14 homers and 98 RBIs over eight seasons with the Royals and Atlanta Braves.
The 30-year-old Pena will back up Alex Avila behind the plate.
Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said Monday the switch-hitting Pena will be a solid complement to Avila.
The Tigers also designated left-handed pitcher Matt Hoffman for assignment. He was 1-3 with a 3.69 ERA in 43 games at Triple-A Toledo last season.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Detroit Tigers Alex Avila Navy T-Shirt