Royals sign Sherrill, Wheeler, Taveras to deals
Sherrill is a former All-Star who is coming off Tommy John surgery on his left elbow. The 35-year-old is 19-17 with 56 saves and a 3.77 ERA in 442 career appearances for the Mariners, Orioles, Dodgers and Braves.
Wheeler, who turned 35 on Monday, is 25-43 with a 3.98 ERA in 589 career appearances for the Rays, Mets, Astros, Red Sox and Indians.
Both of the pitchers will attempt to win spots in the Royals' stacked bullpen during spring training.
Taveras, who turns 31 later this month, is a career .274 hitter in seven seasons with the Astros, Rockies, Reds and Nationals.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yanks' Teixeira tests leg, 'couldn't be happier'
- Sizemore's scoop caps Yankees' triple play
- Mattingly voices worry over threats to Puig
- Dodgers' Ramirez hit on hand, misses game
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Baltimore Orioles Double Climate On-Field Black Jacket