RHP Vicente Padilla signs with team in Japan
FUKUOKA, Japan -- Free-agent pitcher Vicente Padilla has signed with The Softbank Hawks of Japan's Pacific League.
The 35-year-old right-hander, who was 4-1 with a 4.50 ERA in 56 relief appearances for the Boston Red Sox last season, agreed to a $3.25 million, one-year contract with the Hawks, Kyodo news agency reported Thursday.
Padilla, born in Nicaragua, was a major league All-Star in 2002 with the Philadelphia Phillies when he went 14-11 with a 3.28 ERA.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
- Rays OF Myers leaves with a bruised quad
- Matheny glad MLB trying to cut out collisions
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico Texas Rangers #1 Fan License Plate