5-month-old daughter of Mets' Landon Powell dies
The family said on its Facebook page that Izzy Powell died Friday night of an immune disease that attacked her liver and bone marrow.
The family wrote in a post Saturday that she "fought until the end" and "her life served a great purpose in her short 5 months on this earth."
Taken by Oakland with the 24th pick on the first round of the 2004 amateur draft, Powell played for the Athletics from 2009-11 and spent last year at Houston's Triple-A team in Oklahoma City. He agreed to a minor league contract with the Mets on Jan. 18.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Source: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's New York Mets Quarter-Zip Silver Ice Pullover