LA Angels hire Omar Vizquel as infield instructor
The 45-year-old Vizquel played for Toronto as a reserve infielder last season, finishing up his 24-year major league career with 2,877 hits. The three-time All-Star won 11 Gold Gloves.
Vizquel is interested in eventually becoming a manager. He'll work with the Angels' major leaguers and prospects during spring training.
Vizquel and Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto played together with the 1994 Cleveland Indians, and Vizquel is a friend of Angels minor league hitting coordinator Paul Sorrento.
The Angels also signed infielder Bill Hall to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Hall has played for six teams in 11 seasons, appearing in seven games with Baltimore last year.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Baltimore Orioles Black Signature Full-Zip Fleece Hoodie