Mike Leake gets $3.06 million deal from Reds
CINCINNATI -- The Reds have agreed to a $3.06 million, one-year deal with right-hander Mike Leake, avoiding salary arbitration with their fifth starter.
Leake made $507,500 last season, when he went 8-9 with a 4.58 ERA in 30 starts, a career high. He asked for $3.5 million in arbitration, and the club offered $2.65 million. He will compete with left-hander Aroldis Chapman for a spot in the rotation. He would make an additional $25,000 if he pitches 180 or more innings.
Cincinnati's three most expensive arbitration cases are pending. Choo is seeking $8 million, Bailey $5.8 million and Latos $4.7 million. The Reds have settled with outfielder Chris Heisey and reliever Alfredo Simon.
Follow Joe Kay on Twitter: http://twitter.com/apjoekay
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Cincinnati Reds Mat Latos #55 Cool Base Home White On-Field Jersey