Twins sign Rafael Perez to minor league deal
Perez pitched just 7 2-3 innings out of the bullpen for the Cleveland Indians last season because of shoulder problems. He had surgery to remove a spur in his shoulder in September and started throwing for scouts earlier this week.
The pitching-starved Twins decided to give the 30-year-old a chance. Perez was a very reliable reliever for the Indians in the previous five seasons. He was a starter earlier in his minor league career, and the Twins have left open the possibility of Perez getting a chance at the rotation.
Perez has a 3.64 career ERA in 338 relief appearances.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Stanton's walk-off GS lifts Marlins over M's
- Pujols belts No. 497 in Angels' rout of Tigers
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
- Rays turn back Yanks behind Loney's 4 RBIs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Cleveland Indians Full-Size Replica Batting Practice Helmet