Rangers top prospect Profar passing on WBC
Profar has a chance to earn a spot on the Rangers' 25-man roster and has informed the team he won't leave camp to play for the Dutch team. The infielder turns 20 on Wednesday.
Texas general manager Jon Daniels said Monday that it was a tough decision for Profar, but that the team left it up to him.
Shortstop Elvis Andrus is among Texas players planning to go to the WBC. His absence from camp should provide extra time in spring training games for Profar.
Profar was called up last September and became only the third teenager in major league history to homer in his first at-bat.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
- Cards' Wainwright gets majors-best 13th win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Texas Rangers Elvis Andrus #1 Cool Base Home White Jersey