Rangers top prospect Profar passing on WBC
Profar has a chance to earn a spot on the Rangers' 25-man roster and has informed the team he won't leave camp to play for the Dutch team. The infielder turns 20 on Wednesday.
Texas general manager Jon Daniels said Monday that it was a tough decision for Profar, but that the team left it up to him.
Shortstop Elvis Andrus is among Texas players planning to go to the WBC. His absence from camp should provide extra time in spring training games for Profar.
Profar was called up last September and became only the third teenager in major league history to homer in his first at-bat.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Reports: MLB agrees to Japanese bid system
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Logo Texas Rangers Sweatshirt Blanket