Giants trade Conor Gillaspie to White Sox
The 25-year-old Gillaspie spent parts of three seasons with the Giants, hitting .205 with a home run and four RBIs in 29 games and 44 at-bats.
San Francisco selected Gillaspie with the 37th overall pick in the 2008 amateur draft from Wichita State. He made his major league debut that Sept. 9.
Soptic, a 21-year-old right-handed reliever, was 3-2 with an ERA of 5.40 with Class A Kannapolis last year. Chicago took him in the third round of the 2011 amateur draft out of Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, Kan.
The trade was announced Friday.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's San Francisco Giants Victory Orange/Black Polo Shirt