St. Louis manager Matheny returns to dugout
JUPITER, Fla. -- St. Louis manager Mike Matheny will be back in the dugout for Saturday's game against Washington, one day after dealing with food poisoning and a herniated disk.
He missed a trip to play the Houston Astros in Kissimmee on Friday.
"If I didn't have the food poisoning, I probably would have made trip," Matheny said. "But between the two, it would have been a long ride."
Matheny said he is feeling better after dealing with the "double whammy."
The 42-year-old believes the herniated disk is "all part of the joys of catching." He said he had a bulge on the other side of the same disk during his final year with San Francisco.
Matheny expects to manage against Minnesota on Monday following an appointment for an epidural.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Houston Astros Navy Color Sheen Wristlet