Villarreal's family unharmed in kidnapping attempt
Villarreal has remained with the team. Manager Jim Leyland did not want to comment further about the matter, saying Sunday: "The less said, the better."
Villarreal went 3-5 with a 2.63 ERA last year in 50 appearances. The 25-year-old right-hander struck out 66 hitters in 54 2-3 innings.
Security back home has been a concern in recent years for Venezuelan players and their families because of a rising wave of kidnappings.
The mother of former pitcher Ugueth Urbina, a two-time All-Star, spent more than five months in captivity until she was rescued in early 2005.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Washington Nationals Scarlet Flanker T-Shirt