Texas' McClellan scratched from Sunday start
The Rangers scratched McClellan from his start Sunday against Seattle with the injury. Texas says in a release Saturday that McClellan should need three to four weeks of recovery before beginning a throwing program. Opening day is March 31.
McClellan, who had spent his entire professional career in the St. Louis Cardinals organization, signed a minor league contract with the Rangers on Jan. 15 and was a non-roster invitee to spring training. After winning 12 games for the Cardinals in 2011, he was limited to 16 relief appearances and 18 2-3 innings last year because of shoulder and elbow injuries and did not pitch after May 17.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Texas Rangers Shin-Soo Choo #17 Alternate Royal Jersey