Braves SS Simmons out with sprained left thumb
Simmons was injured while sliding headfirst into second on a stolen base in the third inning of Friday night's 4-1 win over Chicago. He stayed in the game and finished 0 for 4 with a run scored and a walk.
Simmons said his thumb swelled up overnight. He hopes to return to the lineup Sunday, adding that he feels fine.
A broken right pinkie landed Simmons on the disabled list for two months last year. He was hurt sliding headfirst into second on July 8 at Philadelphia.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- A's Parker needs 2nd Tommy John surgery
- Tigers' Iglesias says he has stress fractures
- Braves' Medlen, Beachy see Dr. Andrews
- Verlander tabbed to start 7th opener in row
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Atlanta Braves Runner Floor Mat