Astros recall Clemens, place Fields on DL
The Astros made the move on Monday ahead of their series opener against the Seattle Mariners, retroactive to April 4. Houston recalled Paul Clemens from Triple-A Oklahoma City to take Fields' spot. It is Clemens first appearance on an active major league roster.
Fields was the first-round draft pick of the Mariners in 2008. He was taken in the first-round of the 2012 Rule 5 Draft from the Boston Red Sox organization and made the Astros opening day roster after posting a 2.31 ERA in 12 spring training appearances. Fields had faced just two batters this season.
Clemens made one start for Oklahoma City this season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Houston Astros Leader Navy Quarter-Zip Pullover