Rangers trade minor league catcher to Rays
ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers have traded minor league catcher Juan Apodaca to Tampa Bay for cash considerations.
The deal was announced Wednesday while the two teams were playing the finale of a three-game series.
Apodaca, who was a non-roster invitee to spring training with the Rangers, was on the disabled list at Triple-A Round Rock.
Tampa Bay will be the Venezuelan's sixth organization since the Los Angeles Dodgers signed him as a 16-year-old non-drafted free agent in 2003. Apodaca has not yet played in the majors.
Two days earlier in a separate deal, the Rangers got catcher Robinson Chirinos from Tampa Bay for a player to be named or cash. The trade for Apodaca is not related to that deal.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Texas Rangers Russell Wilson #3 Royal T-Shirt