Cubs claim Borbon off waivers from Rangers
Borbon, 27, spent all of last season with Round Rock, the Rangers' Double-A affiliate, where he hit .304 with 23 doubles, 10 home runs and 20 stolen bases in 133 games. He hit .317 in 32 spring training games for the Rangers this season and went hitless in one regular season at-bat before being designated for assignment on April 9.
"It's another way to make the organization stronger," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "He's an athlete, a left-handed hitter and can play every outfield position. He's a young guy that's had big league success already."
To make room for Borbon on the roster, Chicago designated Alberto Gonzalez for assignment. Gonzalez appeared in 11 games for the Cubs this season, batting .217 (5-for-23).
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Alvarez faces 1 over minimum, silences M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Texas Rangers Royal Traverse Fleece Jacket