Willie Mays' wife of 41 years has died
SAN FRANCISCO -- The wife of Hall of Famer Willie Mays, Mae Louise Allen Mays, has died. She was 74.
Mays announced his wife's death through the San Francisco Giants on Friday. The couple had been married 41 years after they met during his playing years in New York.
The team said Mrs. Mays died in her sleep Friday morning in the couple's Bay Area home after a long fight with Alzheimer's disease.
Mrs. Mays was born on May 26, 1938. She grew up in the racially segregated Homewood section of Pittsburgh, becoming an accomplished sprinter.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Youth San Francisco Giants 59Fifty Diamond Tech Black Batting Practice Hat