Reds reliever Broxton hurts hand, leaves game
CINCINNATI -- Reds reliever Jonathan Broxton hurt his hand while trying to field a comeback liner in the eighth inning against the Cubs and left the game on Monday night.
Broxton came on to pitch the eighth and retired the first two batters. Nate Schierholtz hit the ball sharply up the middle, and all Broxton could do was knock it down. Schierholtz reached on an infield single when Broxton couldn't locate the ball.
A trainer came out and checked Broxton's right hand. He flexed the hand a few times then left the game. X-rays were negative.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Cincinnati Reds Racerback Red Tank Top