Red Sox RHP Bailey goes on 15-day DL
Boston activated lefty reliever Craig Breslow from the DL on Monday.
The 28-year-old Bailey started the season as the setup man, but was elevated to the closer's role when Joel Hanrahan went on the DL in April with a strained right hamstring.
Bailey was 1-0 with a 1.46 ERA and five saves in 13 games before going on the disabled list.
Bailey missed most of last season after having surgery on his right thumb during spring training. The right-hander also missed a large portion of the 2011 and 2010 seasons when he was with Oakland because of injuries.
Breslow started the season on the DL with shoulder tendinitis.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox Andrew Bailey #40 Home White Jersey