Motte has elbow surgery; Cards activate Adams
Motte tweeted the ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow "went well."
"One day closer to getting back out there then yesterday," he wrote on Twitter.
The Cardinals announced before their game against the Cubs that they had activated first baseman Matt Adams (right oblique) from the disabled list.
Motte was placed on the Cardinals' disabled list March 29 with right elbow soreness. After trying to rehab the injury and play catch, the team decided he should have the elbow-ligament replacement procedure.
Motte saved 42 games in 2012 with a 2.75 ERA.
Edward Mujica has taken over as the closer for St. Louis. He has converted all eight of his chances and has a 2.08 ERA.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Agent: Lester didn't tell Sox contract terms
- Jeter passes Yaz for seventh on MLB hits list
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Chicago Cubs 1942 Cooperstown Jersey w/ Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary & "HEALTH" Patch