White Sox place 3B Gillaspie on paternity leave
Morel, the 2012 opening day third baseman for the White Sox, will start against the Mets on Wednesday night in his first major league appearance of the season. He was hitting .280 with five home runs and 40 RBIs for Charlotte. In three seasons with the White Sox, he is hitting .230 with 13 home runs and 53 RBIs. He was plagued by back problems throughout last season.
Gillaspie and his wife, Amanda, are expecting the birth of their first child. He is eligible to come off the paternity list after one day, but can be on for as many as three. He is hitting .246 with five home runs and 18 RBIs.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- A's Parker needs 2nd Tommy John surgery
- Tigers' Iglesias says he has stress fractures
- Braves' Medlen, Beachy see Dr. Andrews
- Verlander tabbed to start 7th opener in row
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Zack Wheeler New York Mets Triple Play Photo Display