Longoria leaves with foot injury
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Tampa Bay slugger Evan Longoria left Friday night's game against Detroit because of a sore right foot.
The Rays announced that Longoria irritated plantar fasciitis, which has bothered him for the past month. He was limited to the designated hitter role for a few games earlier this month because of the problem.
Longoria will be reevaluated Saturday.
Longoria, who has 17 homers and 47 RBIs in 80 games this season, grounded out in the second inning Friday and was replaced at third base by Kelly Johnson to start the third.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Tampa Bay Rays Evan Longoria #3 Blue T-Shirt