San Diego's Grandal injured in game at Washington
WASHINGTON -- San Diego catcher Yasmani Grandal left Saturday's game at Washington in the third inning with a right knee injury.
With the bases loaded and one out, Washington's Ian Desmond grounded to first baseman Jesus Guzman. Guzman threw to Grandal for the force at home as Washington's Anthony Rendon slid into the lower portion of Grandal's right leg, twisting the catcher's knee.
Grandal fell to the ground but held on for the forceout. He remained down for several minutes before being assisted off the field.
The team later announced Grandal had a right knee sprain and would be re-evaluated after the game.
He was replaced by Nick Hundley.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Thomas 'disappointed' Abreu passed on Derby
- Braves suspend struggling Uggla for 1 game
- Wright to get shot to aid shoulder at break
- Reds' Simon among 4 pitchers added to ASG
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Washington Nationals Red Cleanup Adjustable Hat