Padres place Grandal on DL with sprained knee
Grandal was injured Saturday in the third inning of the Padres' 5-4 loss to the Washington Nationals when Anthony Rendon slid into Grandal's right leg at the plate, twisting the catcher's knee. Grandal fell to the ground, but held on for the forceout before being assisted off the field.
Grandal was hitting .216 with one homer and nine RBIs in 28 games since being reinstated from the restricted list on May 28. He missed 50 games while serving a suspension for a positive testosterone test.
Rivera, who last played in the majors in 2011 for Minnesota, was active Sunday against the Nationals.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Hank the dog arrives to Milwaukee welcome
- Headley eyes opener but won't rush injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Washington Nationals Baseball Mat