Yankees host Newtown residents and honor victims
Hoping to help the community heal from last year's shooting massacre, the team gave away free tickets and vouchers for food and drinks on "Newtown Day at Yankee Stadium."
During a pregame ceremony, the crowd went silent as victims from the December shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School were listed on the giant video board in center field. The Newtown Police Department and Sandy Hook Fire Department provided a joint color guard, and the national anthem was sung by the Newtown Youth Voices, a group of kids aged 7-17 that formed after the tragedy.
Newtown First Selectman Pat Llodra said fun events like this are a very important part of the town's recovery.
Baltimore beat the Yankees 2-1.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- Source: Cubs' Castro sues after $3.6M seized
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's New York Yankees Roger Maris #9 White Cooperstown Jersey