Seattle designates Bonderman, recalls Luetge
The Mariners made the move on Monday. The team recalled left-handed reliever Lucas Luetge from Triple-A Tacoma to take Bonderman's roster spot but the Mariners will still need a starter for Thursday's game against the Boston Red Sox.
Bonderman was out of baseball for the entire 2011 and 2012 seasons before making his debut with the Mariners on June 2. He had four straight strong starts between June 7 and June 23, but was battered for 10 earned runs and 13 hits in just 8 1-3 innings over his past two starts against the Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati.
Luetge will be in his third stint with the Mariners this season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Indians recall Salazar to start against Twins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Seattle Mariners Applique Banner Flag